Cephalonia has it very demonstrates many sights, beginning from the natural landscape and leading to the important creations of those who passed from this place among this centuries and left their positive residues in this.
THE LIGHTHOUSE OF “Geros Gombos”
This well-known Cephalonian lighthouse is situated in the south west of Paliki at a particularly rocky landscape.
It’s one the few Meditteranean lighthouses that its operation was based on speculums which have recently been replaced by others more modern.
Visiting this lighthouse one can not only admire its beautifully plain type of building but the lovely sunset aswell.
THE IAKOVATIOS LIBRARY
The Iakovatios Library is located at the west end of the town, in the mansion of the Typaldos-Iakovatos brothers. The mansion was built in 1866 and remained standing after the catastrophic earthquake in 1953, to be restored in 1984.
The library houses 25,000 books, 6,000 of which date back to the 16th , 17th , 18th , and 19th century.
It is worth paying a visit to the chapel of St. Marina in Soullaroi. The church was built in 1600 and has been named a Byzantine Monument.
Petrsios Gymnasium and Lyceum were named after the benefactor Dr. Stamos Petritsis. The school yard of the lyceum hosts the statue of the Benefactor, created by the Kefalonia sculptor Dionisios Bonanos.
MONUMENT OF IAKOVATON
Kipouria Monastery was built 90m from the sea by the Patriachal Archimadrite Chysanthos Petropoulos from Paxous in 1759.
The monastery celebrates on the 25th of March and the 14th of September.
VALLIANEIOS VOCATIONAL SCHOOL
Vallianeios Vocational School is the shore which presents an endless swaying movement. This phenomenon is due to the unstable arrangement of the bedrock at the base of the boulder. Kounopetra is located in the Akrotiri Kehrionas is the north of Lixouri at icon of Panagia (Virgin Maria) Kehrionotissa.
The moving rock “Kounopetra”
Kounopetra is a large boulder by the shore which presents an endless swaying movement. This phenomenon is due to the unstable arrangement of the bedrock at the base of the boulder. Kounopetra is located in the Akrotiri area.
This is one of the most peculiar geological phenomena of Cephalonia. It is a big rock a few centimeters away from the coast and which used to move rhythmically in the past. As the scientist Mr. Konstantakos wrote in 1900 : “It’s calm movement is visible from the coast. It moves every 20 minutes. Whoever stands on it can feel vibrations of the rock”.
But after the earthquake of 1953, all these stopped, because the earthquakes caused the movement of many parts of the sea bed.
Kehrionas is in the north of Lixouri at the location known as Karavostasi. The monastery hosts the miraculous icon of Panagia (Virgin Mary) Kehrionotissa.
The place is kept in the church of the Monastery in the celebrated on the 16of August and the 20 of October, when Kefalonias from all over Greece swarm to the monastery to pay their honors
An impressive cave lake with magnificent stalactites, Melissani was the ancient worship site of the god Pan.
Part of the ceiling collapsed many years ago, leaving in its place a spectacular sight. The sunlight is diffused in the iridescent blue water of the lake, creating a miraculous spectrum of shades of blue.